Can I bring my parents to Japan?

In general, there is unfortunately no visa for bringing parents to Japan. In extreme cases, it may be possible to gain permission for one parent to come and live with you in Japan on a Designated Activities Visa, but this generally requires that:

  • Your parent is alone with no other immediate family able to care for them.
  • They are over the age of 70.
  • It is dangerous for them to continue living alone due to chronic illness.
  • You have ample income and living space in order to care for them.

Unfortunately, the application process for obtaining a visa for a parent is extremely strict even if you fulfill all of these requirements, so please get in touch with us if you are concerned about your particular case.

※Those on Highly Skilled Professional Visas may be able to bring their parent(s) to Japan without meeting the above requirements. Please contact us for up to date details.

Can I use my English skills to obtain a working visa as a non-native speaker?

For jobs which mainly make us of your English language skills (alongside or excluding Japanese), this is generally not possible. For example, for a native speaker of Italian, if 70% of their work makes use of English and only 30% in Italian, this will generally not be considered appropriate. This is because working visas typically require that the applicant uses skills specific to themselves (i.e. possessed natively or gained through specialist training) in their work.

In some cases, however, it is possible for non-native speakers to get a working visa for work based on their English language ability – for example if you have been educated in an English language environment for 12 years or more.

Do I need to know Japanese to obtain a Japanese working visa?

The simple answer to this question is no, not necessarily. For many jobs, you will be able to get by with just English. In fact, working visas typically require that you use skills specific to you (i.e. possessed natively or gained through specialist training), so doing work that does not use English is often not possible for native English speakers on a working visa.

There are however some situations in which Japanese language ability is a definite advantage. Working in a mostly Japanese language environment is one obvious example, but please also be aware that those applying for Business Manager Visas are generally expected to either know Japanese or employ someone who can translate and interpret for them. The same goes for those applying for Japanese business licenses.

I want to invite my partner to Japan but am still technically married to someone else. We are not in contact and I don’t know how to process the divorce by myself.

We receive many enquiries similar to this. Unfortunately, we are not able to give advice regarding divorce law, so can only advise as to how your marriage or divorce affect may affect visa applications.