Student Visa

Student Visas are designed for foreigners looking to study at a university, college, vocational school, high school, special support education school or other similar institution in Japan.

As part of the Japanese government’s program to encourage international exchange from a young age, Student Visas are also available to children seeking to attend middle or elementary school in Japan. 

While initial applications for Student Visas are generally carried out by the school, university or college which the application plans to attend, the support of the school may not be available in cases such as when the applicant needs to renew their visa but does not have a good academic or attendance record. In recent years, the Immigration Bureau is increasingly strict in its consideration of visas for students with such records. 

If you are worried about your Student Visa application, please do not hesitate to contact us for a free consultation session!


The Immigration Bureau is asking that I submit additional documents. Is it likely that my application will be rejected? 

Being asked to submit additional documents does not necessarily mean that your application is more likely to be rejected, but the way in which you submit these documents can have a significant effect on the outcome of your application. In particular, it is important to be able to submit these documents as quickly as possible to avoid any complications with your visa status. 

We can assist with responding to requests for additional documents. Get in touch to find out more. 

My visa application has been rejected. Can I re-apply? 

Just because your visa has been rejected once does not mean that you need to give up on it. We regularly gain visas in such cases by gaining a firm grasp of why the first application failed and coming up with a new strategy for a second (or third, or fourth!) application. 

I want to work in Japan after graduating. Which visa should I apply for? 

There are many different types of Working Visas in Japan. Please check out our page here to see which one is right for you. 

Is there a visa which will enable me to search for work in Japan after graduation? 

Yes, you may be able to apply for a Designated Activities Visa. This is generally a 6 month visa but can in special circumstances be extended. 

I want to start a company in Japan after graduation. Which visa should I change to? 

Even as a new graduate, you may be eligible for a Business Manager Visa

Please be aware that to start a company in Japan you will also need to formally establish your company as well as acquire any relevant business licenses.  

For any queries about any of the above, please do not hesitate to contact us!


*Please be aware that the contents of this site are naturally subject to change, meaning that we cannot guarantee their accuracy at the point of access.*
*For up-to-date information, please contact us directly.*